A hysterectomy involves the surgical removal of the uterus. In some cases, the ovaries, fallopian tubes or cervix may also be removed. A laparoscopic hysterectomy may be performed either through the abdomen or through the vagina.
- local or general anesthesia may be used
- surgeon will make a number of small incisions to the abdomen and/or an incision in the vagina
- a laparoscope (with a tiny camera) is inserted to allow the surgeon to view the uterus and other reproductive organs
- thin surgical instruments are inserted and utilized to remove the uterus and cut it into pieces
- the pieces may be removed through the incisions or through the vagina
Meet Our Surgeons